Book PUBLISHING QUICKLY AND aFFORDABLY
The New Orleans Healing Center is now offering a new series of courses taught by publishing specialist Gary Michael Smith. Beginning in the spring of 2012, Mr. Smith will be teaching a book publishing course he designed and developed for the UNO Metropolitan College continuing education program. This course is delivered in a seminar format comprising 2 hours a class for several classes. The book Publishing for Small Press Runs is the course text, and it is examined in-depth during the course. More than 250 handouts are provided to include such vital publishing paperwork as the ISBN application, Library of Congress Copyright Office forms, and the Bowkerlink Add/Update in Books In Print online form to ensure that titles are listed in such catalogs as Books In Print.
An eye-opening list of small press publishing successes is presented at the beginning of the course, and a sample procedures for processing book orders is discussed. Students also are given a publishing checklist and a publishing timetable to delineate the steps necessary to successfully publish and market books. In addition to the checklist and timetable, students are provided with flowcharts for publishing using both manual hardcopy and digital processes. Samples of books printed in short press runs by point of purchase book manufacturing machines as well as by the traditional Xerox and IBM digital machines are displayed. Books published by former students and others who have used this book as a guide, as listed below, also are discussed and displayed.
Titles Published by Former Students
• The Nightrider Chronicles, by Jack Peebles, Saturn Books (See Borders.com.)
• How to Prepare Your Preschooler for Harvard, by Marjorie Conatser, Streetcar Publishing (See Borders.com.)
• Facts and Fanciful Tales of the Crescent City, by Marjorie Conatser, Streetcar Publishing (See Borders.com.)
• Pegmatology: Pegmatite Mineralogy, Petrology and Petrogenesis, by Karen L. Webber (with William B. Simmons, Alexander U. Falster, James W. Nizamoff), Rubellite Press
• The Tourmaline, by Augustus Choate Hamlin, MD (edited and compiled by Karen L. Webber, Raymond A. Sprague, and William “Skip” Simmons), Rubellite Press
• A Child’s Cozy Corner Verses, by Lily Plep, Celebration Spirits
• Spit/N/360 Degrees To the Mind, by Pearl Buckley, B.L.A.K. Pearl
• Airborne Troop Carrier—Three-One-Five Group, by William L. Brinson, Walka Books (published by George F. Cholewczynski)
• The Holland Patch—The 2nd Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment at Arnhem, by Simon Haines, Walka Books (published by George F. Cholewczynski)
• The Road Between Dreams and Reality, by T. Philip Washington, Passageway Publications, LLC
• Conversational Spanish for Business and Home, by Beatriz Saigal, Rayo de Sol
• Song of the Seven Sisters, by Sonya Dee Sonne, Windlass Endeavors
• A Look Into the Rear View Mirror (275KB), by Carolyn Noah Graetz, Magnolia2 Press
• The Bartenders Beer Cookbook, by Paul Barbano
• 9/18-EBR-ZERO, by Andree Maduell, St. Charles Press
Others Who Have Used Publishing for Small Press Runs
• Smiles From the Deep, by Carroll Devine, Calliope Publications/Sounds Devine
• Soulful MakeOvers, by Mary M. Soniat and Karen Hafkesbring, Chapter ’n’ Verse Publishing
For a CBS-affiliate video clip interview about this course, see the tenth bullet at “Interviews, Presentations, and Events” below.
Read testimonials about this course.
Schedule for the Spring 2012
Title: Book Publishing Quickly and Affordably
Dates: Sundays January 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, 2012
Times: 10 a.m.–12 p.m.
Where: New Orleans Healing Center
Tuition: Cost of this five-session course is $100, plus $21.75 for the course text (purchased from the instructor at the first class).
Materials Provided: A syllabus and handouts are provided at the first class.
Course Text: Publishing for Small Press Runs—How to Print and Market from 20 to 200 Copies of Your Book.
Registration: Pre-register by emailing email@example.com or calling 504-866-7816. Note: Registration will not be accepted after December 30, 2011.